Saturday, July 19, 2008

A BUFFALO PR


It was my third race of the season, but my first that I didn't receive the nasty three letters...D-N-F. I actually got a time for this one and as it turns out it was a PR at the Half-Iron distance.
The race was the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3. Trey, Bird and I made the drive to the West Texas town of Lubbock. I know, you're thinking "LUBBOCK!", where do you swim in Lubbock? It's actually a pretty area. The name of the race gives it away. It's a nice canyon area (by the way, the canyon makes for a pretty tough bike leg....more on that later) with a smaller lake called...yes...Buffalo Springs Lake.
The Lord blessed us all on this day with a reprieve from the blistering temperatures that usually exist in West Texas at the end of June. The high was in the lower 80's with significant cloud cover and a steady, light rain for most of the bike leg.
The swim was a PR at this distance as well at 41:17. I'd still like to cut time off this effort in the future for sure. The bike split was 3:07:53...for an average of 17.9. Seems a bit slow but the hills in and out of the canyon made for some tough climbs. I was happy with the split. My run was 2:15:03. Tack on the transition times for a total of 6:10:41.
My first half time was 6:29:33. Less than two years later I've cut 19 minutes off that time. My next goal is to do a sub-6.

No comments: