Tuesday, December 01, 2009

LR Marathon, Part Deux


The time has come!  Training for the Little Rock Marathon has begun.  I've built a training plan and I plan to stick with it....this time.


After my first Ironman (Wisconsin, 2007) I decided to run the Little Rock Marathon.  I figured, why not.  I had already done a lot of running in preparation for the Ironman so that, surely, gave me a jump start on training for just a little old marathon, right?


Well...a funny thing happened on the way to the finish line.  Well, O.K. I'll say it, a lot of time elapsed on the way to the finish line, like 4:42:and change.  My marathon at the Ironman was 4:57:and change.  So the absence of swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 only netted me 15 minutes.


The truth is I did not train properly for the LR Marathon in 2008.  I disrespected the distance.  I paid the price and got exactly what I deserved.  I will not make that same mistake again.


I'll lay it out right now...my goal for the 2010 LR Marathon is a sub-4.  That's already a stretch goal but, what if I could qualify for Boston?  I'd have to run a 3:30!  Now that's a stretch goal! 

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

That would be AWESOME! The 3:30 I mean. But a PR is a guarantee with your training plan, so you can't lose.